The Light within The Darkness
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Light within The Darkness

A friendly and inviting Kingdom Hearts Community

HomeSearchGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Gotta start somewhere

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Saradamon Lanaldor
Court Magician
Saradamon Lanaldor

Gotta start somewhere Empty
PostSubject: Gotta start somewhere   Gotta start somewhere EmptyTue Nov 03, 2009 2:13 am

Well, i just took a webcam pic of my sketch of xuva from... beginning of summer XD

it's not great, by ANY meaning of the word, but it's atleast not horrendous Razz

Gotta start somewhere WebCam_20091102_1906

and yes, i need to get access to a scanner Razz

This was, actually, my first attempt to draw something that was not a military vehicle. XD
Back to top Go down
http://www.erepublik.com/en/referrer/Saradamon+Lanaldor
MistressofShadow
Traditional Art Moderator
MistressofShadow

Location : In the place where magic thrives and castles fly around the skies.

PostSubject: Re: Gotta start somewhere   Gotta start somewhere EmptyTue Nov 03, 2009 9:58 am

Hmm...that's quite good for a start.

POINTER TIME!!!

1. Really nice body shape. Quite a difficult pose to start with. However a little work on hands is needed. A good tip for this- Copy your own hand. Due several sketches of your left (or right hand) hand in different poses. And I don't mean place you hand on paper and draw around it. Hold it up in front of you and do a head banging action (meaning look up and down).

2. Add more curves. If you study people, we're not rectangles. Even males do have their curves (not like women but still). A good tip to do this is stand in front of the mirror and stare at yourself. Not vainly but be a poser for once. Study how your body looks when you move a certain way. Lol, make sure the door's locked so you don't seem like a crazy guy who wants to become a woman.

Now here's some moving forward tips:

a. Try making your characters or objects bigger to fit more of the picture. Yes, I know this is a difficult thing to do. Took me a long time. But you'll find once you can the dimensions correct you'll be able to throw in more details.

b. You've mastered sketching so now try shading. Add lighting and shadow. It gives your picture a real depth. A good thing to help with is draw a light small circle in the corner then three lines coming off it at different angles facing towards your character. This, I found, helped with where the light goes.

Lol, its a lot but I think it'll help.

By the way, welcome to the Traditional Artists!
Back to top Go down
Saradamon Lanaldor
Court Magician
Saradamon Lanaldor

PostSubject: Re: Gotta start somewhere   Gotta start somewhere EmptyTue Nov 03, 2009 12:48 pm

MistressofShadow wrote:

1. Really nice body shape. Quite a difficult pose to start with. However a little work on hands is needed. A good tip for this- Copy your own hand. Due several sketches of your left (or right hand) hand in different poses. And I don't mean place you hand on paper and draw around it. Hold it up in front of you and do a head banging action (meaning look up and down).

... not the hands again xD but this links to the size thing... the hand, in total, is less than a cm wide. actually... i just measured, it's EXACTLY 1cm(well, being the physics student i am, i should say that "it appears to be measuring at 1.00 + 0.05 cm), so now we have a scale Razz. and i can draw a hand quite well when it's at, say, more than 5 cm XD

MistressofShadow wrote:

2. Add more curves. If you study people, we're not rectangles. Even males do have their curves (not like women but still). A good tip to do this is stand in front of the mirror and stare at yourself. Not vainly but be a poser for once. Study how your body looks when you move a certain way. Lol, make sure the door's locked so you don't seem like a crazy guy who wants to become a woman.

I did mention that this was my first thing i actually tried to draw that WASNT a MILITARY VEHICLE, right? because if you notice, military vehicles tend to be rectangles XD

MistressofShadow wrote:

a. Try making your characters or objects bigger to fit more of the picture. Yes, I know this is a difficult thing to do. Took me a long time. But you'll find once you can the dimensions correct you'll be able to throw in more details.

And it's back to the "Draw the object bigger" thing... i got that in art class too XD... we had to sketch scissors (oh god... the scissors... i hate scissors now) over and over again, to fill up poster board -_-

MistressofShadow wrote:

b. You've mastered sketching so now try shading. Add lighting and shadow. It gives your picture a real depth. A good thing to help with is draw a light small circle in the corner then three lines coming off it at different angles facing towards your character. This, I found, helped with where the light goes.

ah, the good 'ol vanishing point... i know it well... but in truth, i never thought to use the vanishing point for shading Razz

MistressofShadow wrote:

By the way, welcome to the Traditional Artists!

thanks. when i have time, or rather, on a weekend if i happen to somehow have printer paper in my room with nothing on it (i'll be like "i'll get some later" then forget about it) i'll try another sketch.

any sugguestions? my main problem is having absolutely no idea what to draw. and dont say "person" or something that general. be more specific.
Back to top Go down
MistressofShadow
MistressofShadow

PostSubject: Re: Gotta start somewhere   Gotta start somewhere EmptyTue Nov 03, 2009 5:54 pm

Here's a good challenge then. If you have a pet, sketch them to the fullest detail possibly. If you don't, find a picture off the internet and try and copy it. Not trace it. Copy it.

Animals will help with curves and stuff. Good luck!
Back to top Go down
Saradamon Lanaldor
Court Magician
Saradamon Lanaldor

PostSubject: Re: Gotta start somewhere   Gotta start somewhere EmptyTue Nov 03, 2009 11:43 pm

i know the difference between trace and copy >_>

i've taken art classes at school (they were mandatory, but i enjoyed them)

Shocked i should go find my old sketch pad from 1st semester last year!

... though i not sure if i should... the scissors... *shakes*

we had to draw scissors... every day... five times a day...

but i should post another pic by this time next week. i only took like 10 min for that pic above, and it was my first, so i'll actually try for the next one Razz
Back to top Go down
Saradamon Lanaldor
Court Magician
Saradamon Lanaldor

PostSubject: Re: Gotta start somewhere   Gotta start somewhere EmptyWed Nov 11, 2009 7:54 pm

Srry bout double post, but here's a sketch i just did, simply a "Generic genderless, headless, Humanoid" Razz

Gotta start somewhere Sketches_2

yes, i know the right leg (technically left leg, but the leg to the right in this pic) is 2 mm shorter than the other XD

also, someone *stares at particular someone* turn on HTML. i just found out how to use it to add alt text, and i like alt text Razz

EDIT: pic from phone removed and changed to scanned pic
Back to top Go down
Saradamon Lanaldor
Court Magician
Saradamon Lanaldor

PostSubject: Re: Gotta start somewhere   Gotta start somewhere EmptyMon Nov 16, 2009 4:00 am

am i really forced to triple post??? isnt anyone (other than tina, i know she saw it) looking at these?

i drew a pic of an eye, and yes, tina, this is to help me draw jud (and possibly tito as well in the same sketch Wink )

Gotta start somewhere 11152009088

it takes up half a sheet of printer paper, and keep in mind it would be, in total, about the size of the white dot that seems to have been added by my phone's camera's flash in the middle of the eye, when used in the sketch for jud (/tito)

now, this was rather interesting to draw, as i could find only a broken pencil and could not find a sharpener. how did i do this?... most likely be ruining the pencil XD

i pressed it against the inside of the head of a screw and twisted it until it shredded off some of the wood. that's what made the thicker and lighter effect in this, and is also why it is too light for my scanner to pick up most of it XD
Back to top Go down
SeaSalt IceCream
Admin
SeaSalt IceCream

PostSubject: Re: Gotta start somewhere   Gotta start somewhere EmptyMon Nov 16, 2009 4:54 am

Technically... you can't make a genderless body... Males and females have their different curves
I'd say your body there was male...
Back to top Go down
https://lightwithindarkness.forummotion.com
Saradamon Lanaldor
Court Magician
Saradamon Lanaldor

PostSubject: Re: Gotta start somewhere   Gotta start somewhere EmptyMon Nov 16, 2009 5:09 am

technically i'd say it could be both.
Back to top Go down
MistressofShadow
MistressofShadow

PostSubject: Re: Gotta start somewhere   Gotta start somewhere EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 12:11 am

That's a really good eye. You like going for the more realistic approach and have done it well.

Two things to try now:

1. Using pens. Either ball-point or Ink Pens are good cause it enhances the picture and makes it stand out. Ball point is good for shading while Ink is good for big bold lines.

2. Try different expressions such as happy or sad or scared. Just do like a page of eyes.

Really good! I love your progression.
Back to top Go down
Saradamon Lanaldor
Court Magician
Saradamon Lanaldor

PostSubject: Re: Gotta start somewhere   Gotta start somewhere EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 12:26 am

well as i said, i could only find a broken pencil when i drew that Razz

i doodled a pair of eyes in perspective (roughly 55 degree angle to the side) with a ballpoint during school today, but it's on lined paper >_<

and you cant see the emotion in that eye?

It's uncaring about how it's being drawn in a fashion that no scanner that it will ever come in contact with will be able to generate XD

also, i have drawn the rough outline for the a flyer eye and am deciding wither i should color it or add detail in pencil.

EDIT: as for a page of eyes, i've started one, in pencil (but darker, as this one is sharpened Wink), and the first SET of eyes i did was... well, you tell me tina, who in your story is known for his eyes specifically? Razz
Back to top Go down
MistressofShadow
MistressofShadow

PostSubject: Re: Gotta start somewhere   Gotta start somewhere EmptyWed Nov 18, 2009 11:44 pm

Hmm well Molly is not known but has round eyes. If you color the picture the eye color is important for each species such as:

Flyers- Silver
Spacelings- Gold
Underlings- All White
Waterlings- All Black
Darks- Orange
Back to top Go down
Saradamon Lanaldor
Court Magician
Saradamon Lanaldor

PostSubject: Re: Gotta start somewhere   Gotta start somewhere EmptyThu Nov 19, 2009 1:29 am

well this character is known well for his mesmerizing eyes

if you dont get this, i'll just tell you XD

and i'm trying to get access to a scanner again

also, i started working on a face sketch for jud yesterday, but i cant quite get the mouth the way i want it.

Also (yes, again) i found my sketching pencils from my art classes, 2H and HB if you understand what that means
Back to top Go down
MistressofShadow
MistressofShadow

PostSubject: Re: Gotta start somewhere   Gotta start somewhere EmptyThu Nov 19, 2009 11:17 am

What'd ya mean?

Mouths are difficult.

And lol, duh. <3
H is the Sharpest and then 9B is the thickest of the Pencils family. Then we move into Charcoal and pure grafite and stuff liket that.
Back to top Go down
SeaSalt IceCream
Admin
SeaSalt IceCream

PostSubject: Re: Gotta start somewhere   Gotta start somewhere EmptyThu Nov 19, 2009 10:40 pm

Quote :
I would tend to disagree.
Your figure is rather muscular on the bicepts and around the legs.
Which Automatically screams male.
Or... a very butch woman...
Femals have hips which are made specifically for child birth. ect.
So technically due to the way human males and females have different phyical apearences
You can't have a 'genederless' humanoid.
Back to top Go down
https://lightwithindarkness.forummotion.com
Saradamon Lanaldor
Court Magician
Saradamon Lanaldor

PostSubject: Re: Gotta start somewhere   Gotta start somewhere EmptyFri Nov 20, 2009 4:05 am

SeaSalt IceCream wrote:
Quote :
I would tend to disagree.
Your figure is rather muscular on the bicepts and around the legs.
Which Automatically screams male.
Or... a very butch woman...
Femals have hips which are made specifically for child birth. ect.
So technically due to the way human males and females have different phyical apearences
You can't have a 'genederless' humanoid.

what about a baby? Razz

and MOS: fine, it's Volos's eyes.

EDIT: i think i got a charcoal one somewhere too, i'll look for that.

also, after a bit of observation of pictures of generically generated faces, i think i know how to draw the mouth a lot easier now, and improve the eyes.
Back to top Go down
Saradamon Lanaldor
Court Magician
Saradamon Lanaldor

PostSubject: Re: Gotta start somewhere   Gotta start somewhere EmptyMon Nov 23, 2009 2:28 am

And here's the sketch, finally. it's not much, but it's still TWO eyes now Razz

Gotta start somewhere Sketches_eye_volos_1

Wow... that sized that larger than i expected... ignore the dark dots in the eyebrow, it's from the way i drew them (vibrating my hand and directing it in a particular direction)
Back to top Go down
MistressofShadow
MistressofShadow

PostSubject: Re: Gotta start somewhere   Gotta start somewhere EmptyMon Nov 23, 2009 10:58 am

That's really good Joe!

The eyes of an evil person that look ready to do evil things.

Nice job!
Back to top Go down
Saradamon Lanaldor
Court Magician
Saradamon Lanaldor

PostSubject: Re: Gotta start somewhere   Gotta start somewhere EmptyMon Nov 23, 2009 11:06 pm

aheh. i should be able to do my sketch of jud over break
Back to top Go down
enchilado
Seeker of Darkness
enchilado

PostSubject: Re: Gotta start somewhere   Gotta start somewhere EmptySat Dec 05, 2009 11:12 am

Good drawings.
Back to top Go down
Saradamon Lanaldor
Court Magician
Saradamon Lanaldor

PostSubject: Re: Gotta start somewhere   Gotta start somewhere EmptySat Dec 05, 2009 7:25 pm

i just randomly did a rough sketch of a face in spanish class the other day cause we needed to draw a pic to go with a song we had to listen to... i had the face rolling it's eyes with a stick figure in the background with a speech bubble consisting of hearts and musical notes.

basically, reality rolling it's eyes at love songs Razz

i prolly wont post it, but atleast i know that my drawing faces is getting better... other than hair... and ears..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gotta start somewhere   Gotta start somewhere Empty

Back to top Go down

Gotta start somewhere
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Light within The Darkness :: Creative Community :: Traditional Art-
Jump to: